Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Naked Pancreas, Beantown Style

I put another post idea on hold so I could jump on the Naked Pancreas bandwagon. Reyna came up with this great idea, and I'm all in...

1. What kind on insulin management mode do you use?
Grace uses the Animas One Touch Ping pump in blue with Inset infusion sites. Right now her infusion sets are green but we have pink on order.

2. How often do you inject/change pump sites?
I change her site every 2-3 days. We went through a period where her site would start to fail right at the 48 hour mark. But now she seems to be able to make it to day three (if I put enough insulin in the cartridge!).

3. What type (s) of insulin do you use?
She's used Humalog since the day she was diagnosed.

4. What are your basal settings?
Right now we're changing some things up. Too many lows. However, Grace just came home from school where she was high all day. So here's her basal rates NOW...3:24pm, 10/27/10. They might be different by tonight...

12M-7A = .2
7A-2P = .175
2P-8P = .15
8P-12M = .25

5. What are your correction factors?
125 around the clock.

6. What are your meal ratios?
Again, things may be changing. I think I need to increase her breakfast ratio due to some consistent mid-morning highs.

12M-6A = 1:80 (honestly, I've never had the need to test this one)
6A-10A = 1:16
10A-8P = 1:35
8P-12M = 1:50

7. What do you do for activity and/or PE?
Like Reyna, PE has been kicking our butts this year. Who knew my daughter would be so into the mile run? She turned in the fastest time for a girl in her class. Though, to be honest, her time is not the numbers I worry about. Grace has had the same issues as Reyna's son where he's high going in to PE (mid 200s) then low after (50s-60s). So I've been experimenting with increasing her breakfast I:C ratio and lowering her basal by 30% from 8am to 12n. So far this seems to be working.

As for soccer, I took the advice of some sage D-mamas out there, and instead of removing her pump completely, we've tried lowering her basal about an hour before through an hour after. This seems to have helped stabilize her a bit.

On nights she swims, we lower her basal by 20% at bedtime for 4 hours. It helps with the delayed lows after exercise.

8. How do you manage Pizza, Macaroni and Cheese, or any other "difficult to manage" foods?
We combo bolus for pizza, 50% now and 50% over 6 hours. (Yes, 6 hours. It truly takes that long for the pizza to get out of dodge.) Because we extend for so long, I up the total she's to receive to where the first 50% is 80% of the original dose. (Did I lose you? I'll give an example. I tell the pump the number of pizza carbs and it tells me to bolus her 1.0 unit total. I would increase her total units to 1.6 so she would receive .8 now and .8 over 6 hours.) Sometimes I up her basal as well. This works pretty well for pizza, but I still can't figure out cheeseburgers or most fried foods!

9. How do you prefer to manage your logs/data?
I use the EZ Manager Max computer system that came with her pump. I love it because it has a report that contains all her blood sugars, her carb and bolus amount, basals, corrections, and set change times. When I'm feeling particularly lost, I just save the report into a .pdf file and email it to our CDE. She then emails back any suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Grace seems to be fairly insulin sensitive? I love everyone's settings...it is very interesting. I am trying the decreased basal by 40% for the 2 hours after hockey right now...we will see how tonight goes. Joe just got done with practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining in on this meme Pam. I've been loving reading everyone's posts.

    ReplyDelete