Friday, April 8, 2011

Shoulds

Diabetes just doesn't make sense to me.

I get that it's a condition that comes with tons of variables. But there are certain tenents that should hold true, at least most of the time.

Like this one... physical activity lowers blood sugars.

An thus, the converse should hold true... less physical activity than normal results in higher than normal blood sugars.

Except when it doesn't.

Let me explain.

Long car rides make Grace's blood sugar drop... a lot.

It's happened time and time again. We get in the car for an extended drive and her blood sugars always fall. If I follow the "rules" her decrease in physical activity should require an increased need for insulin. But no.

Could it be a leftover from the years she suffered from carsickness? Is her body still sent into internal turmoil in the car, but instead of it projectiling out of her mouth it's expressed in her crazy numbers?

I don't know. What I do know is that it's so hard for me to ignore the shoulds, and go with my gut.

9 comments:

  1. For Bryce, car rides send him sky high but we can't correct for it cuz once out of the car, he drops like crazy! So we do a temp basal for the beginning of the trip then when we get there, we only cover carbs, not the high for the first hour or so and he usually gets back into range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MY, that is unusual for sure! Joe goes sky-high too. I have to crank up is basal by 100% for car rides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, that's a good one Pam. I am always puzzled by the shoulds too. You should totally do a basal rate car ride test!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always so hard for me to forget about the shoulds and pay attention to what is going on for Addison..because oftentimes the rules just don't apply! We have not experienced lows on long trips but we have not seen a need for increased basal either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH THOSE SHOULDS!!!!!!!! I think this is why it's so hard...because the textbook says this is how things SHOULD work, but reality dictates a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know i should just get it by now...but i dont. im gonna throw out the rule book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen! I make myself crazy all the time trying to figure out what to do and factor in all the different possible scenarios...good luck with the car rides!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOW?! WEIRD!!?? We so far dont have issues with long car rides, but ya never know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a crazy condition, isn't it???!!! Shoulds???!!! Ha!!!!

    ReplyDelete